Friday, February 25, 2005

A Title That Words Won't Do Justice

Il n'y a aucun dieu, mais Dieu.
Il n'y a aucun amour, mais amour.
Il n'y a personne, mais de vous.

It is NOT better to write bad poetry than to not write at all. Especially when it feels forced. I hate that. the forced thing, that is. I know I have something in me right now. Sort of brewing and storming in my head. It's going to spew forth soon. Well, I hope it is.

Poetry just has to be. There is talk of being a good writer, needing to write every day. I'm sure for novelists that holds true. I can't say (from my perspective) that it holds true for poets. I'm bound to have people disagree with me and that's fine. I just know for me that there is a zone that I am led to (that is the essence of how I feel) and that there is an image or idea that gets clearer as I get deeper in that zone.

"Well if you wrote more, you'd be able to get back there readily." Nope - quantity does not produce quality. Not a matter of practice. Just a matter of being able to run with it when the thoughts fall into place and I have good things happening.

I look back at some of my better poems (yes, I think I have written some crap) and wonder how I came up with it. Sometimes it is almost like I am posessed, and have no memory of writing it once I finish. A lot of what I do write are songs - not that there's anything wrong with that. Just happens that I play bass & guitar.

So I will go back to bed, let the words chase themselves round in my head. Perhaps in the morning the vision will be there and I will have my inspiration.

1 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger bhd said...

"The poet's job is to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth, in such a beautiful way that people cannot live without it; to put into words those feelings we all have that are so deep, so important, and yet so difficult to name. The poet's job is to find a name for everything; to be a fearless finder of the names of things; to be an advocate for the beauty of language, the subtleties of language." Jane Kenyon, poet, A Hundred White Daffodils

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

I am worth $2,551,026 on HumanForSale.com
How much are you worth?