Sunday, June 19, 2005

Warm Fuzzies and The Cold Hard Truth

Is love is hard to come by these days? Is there a shortage of memebrship forms for the Mutual Admiration society? I'm not sure what it is, but the abundance of free samples and risk-free trials found easily in my youth have all but vanished.

When this was pointed out to a former attachment of mine known to be more matter-of-fact and less sympathetic, she offered "well, you know you're really not as good looking as you think you are..." I still don't know how to respond to that one.

So things don't get easier as you get older. The wiser and more experienced you get, the pickier you become (or, other people become, it would seem.) And this is not necessarily a bad thing, but rather an observation and statement of truth. You know what you want, but are less inclined to spend yourself waiting/looking for it. I think at this point people assume they know more from the start where things will go.

Being an idealist/romantic in this environment is a dual-edged sword. There is always hope that something will happen someday. Yet, there is frustration over the same-old song that refrains "not this time, not this time. But I sing a different song:

Fairground Attraction - Hallelujah

the lights on the westway go on
a million cars hurry home
an ice cream van shuts off its tinsel bells
winter won’t be long

I see you every day
I watch as you walk down this way
we pass on the stairs of this council block
too shy to find words to say

but your smile is a prayer that prays for love
and your heart is a kite that longs to fly
hallelujah here I am
let’s cut the strings tonight

so meet me on the corner at eight
let’s get out of this place
we’ll kiss the first of a million kisses
and let the past fall away

for your smile is a prayer that prays for love
and your heart is a kite that longs to fly
hallelujah here I am
let’s cut the strings tonight

4 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Blogger newwavegurly said...

You have the love of many women, my friend. It may not be the romantic kind of love you seek, but it's the love of good women nonetheless.

I'm one of those women.

And Happy Father's Day, P.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger bhd said...

And me too!

Your warm and loving nature makes you one of the handsomest men in my book, not to mention your general good looks.

Hang in there. I feel it in my bones that it will have been worth the wait.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

Being yourself is the first step towards attracting anyone. And you are that. Romantic love is not as easy as when we are young and more idealistic.

but it will happen again. As NWG says, you have the love of many women. Include me in the Pete harem.

Okay daddy? she will come when you are least expecting it. ;-)

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

When you least expect something - there it is.

This I know.

~M~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

I am worth $2,551,026 on HumanForSale.com
How much are you worth?