Thursday, December 15, 2005

Came So Close


Almost bought myself a pack of smokes tonight. No particular reason why - I just saw them and wanted them. Picked them up and smelled the fresh leafy smell through the cellophane. They smell so good that way. I really had to remind myself of the nausea I'd experience lighting one up, the foul stink of the burning paper and smoke, the inevitable headache I'd encounter. but damn - even now my mouth waters thinking about it.

I am so lucky I was never an alcoholic, that my vice and addiction was simple like nicotine. Simple for me, anyway. I am smoke-free 17+ months now. I don't preach to smokers to quit. If I met a girl that smokes, I'd have no qualms about kissing her. It might make it harder still to resist the tempatations, though.

My mind always seems to want cigs. Right now I have had a glass of wine and have a nice light buzz going. The smoking just goes with the drinking.

Then there's the $$$ aspect. Holy hell (thanks Steph) are those suckers expensive! Why I remember... yeah yeah yeah - packs under $2.00. Whatever, gramps. Go back to sleep.

Anyway, I am tired and I am glad (sorta, for now anyway) that I didn't smoke.

6 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger An Urban Femme said...

Hey! That's the best news I've heard all morning! You should be proud of yourself, Peter. Nicotine is really hard to let go of. My grandma stopped smoking 70+ years ago and she tells me she still craves a cigarette on occasion. So it takes a strong person to say no. Like you.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger newwavegurly said...

Having just come back from being out at a bar, and having been cigarette free for a little over 7 weeks now, I can completely relate. There is still the occasional craving, but I know that I wouldn't really like the taste or truly enjoy one... and so I don't indulge.

Good for you for resisting.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger David said...

Good for you, Pete. I fell off the wagon after 9 months this year. Stay strong.

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you, Petey-Pete!!

((hug))

 
At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you didn't slip too, it's been 8 weeks for me now since I quit.

It's still tempting sometimes.

I just started a blog about quitting smoking to help people and perhaps build a community, perhaps you would be interested in writing an article or just checking it out or something.

Would appreciate a mention or a link too.

But whichever way, just keep strong and keep quit.

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

My New Years Resolution. that is what mine is. And i am going to lick it this time.

I hope that living in CA will help me with that goal. Seems to be fitness is in the air here. and the water. and everywhere!

Congrats to you mister. You have inspired me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

I am worth $2,551,026 on HumanForSale.com
How much are you worth?